Life is never boring...and right now I wish it was!

I have never blogged before but life threw me a serious curve ball...I was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I am just starting on this ride and I want to be able to remember each part of the trip. I am writing this for myself...if anyone else reads this, please just understand that this is my own personal thoughts and fears and just bear with me. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Next Step - Chemotherapy

It is Tuesday, August 23rd.  5 days post mastectomy. I am doing better than I thought I would be at this point.  I feel like I've been hit in the chest with a 2x4 and the drains are a uncomfortable nuisance but overall, I feel pretty good.  Can totally move my arms - most important so that I can style my hair :) Wearing a post-surgical bra with little fiberfill pads for boobs.  But it is funny how your brain adjusts - looking at my chest is not pretty but I really don't miss my breasts.  Maybe I will later, but right now, in the middle of this storm, they don't seem very important.

I met with the oncologist today to see where I go from here.  Good news - the cancer is 1.8cm and the node was negative - this leads to the cancer being Stage 1.  Yeah!!  The bummer - because the cells were High Grade (8 out of 9) and the HER2 was positive (3.3), he did recommend a course of chemotherapy.  I was actually glad to hear this - I want that "insurance policy". I will be having TCH (don't ask me the names of the T and the C; the H is for Herceptin - a relatively new drug that has proved to be very effective with the HER2 + cancers.  I will have 6 courses of the TCH, 3 weeks apart and then continue the Herceptin alone every 3 weeks for a total of 12 months.  The TCH has the side effects you might expect - the one we all focus on is the hair loss.  I only hope that when it comes back next year it will be thick and maybe curly.  The Herceptin's side effect could be some cardiac issues so I will be monitored for that on a regular basis. 

I see my surgeon, Dr. Soto-Hamlin, next Wednesday, August 31st for my post-surgical check.  I will be talking with her about putting a medi-port in my chest.  This will make the chemo infusions easier to administer.  Dr. Andrews, my oncologist, said he could start the chemo in as little as 2 weeks; however it will wait until I heal enough to get the port.

All of this is a little overwhelming, to put it mildly.  It is not something I ever thought I would have to go through.  But it is temporary - I can deal with anything that is temporary.  I am focusing on dealing with the chemo and the side effects as a temporary, really sucky experience :)  But I have such tremendous support - from Mike, Matt, Nancy, Scott (as he can), my wonderful family (especially my breast cancer survivor sisters-in-law), friends and my church family.  I have been truly overwhelmed by the cards,calls and well wishes from everyone.  Don't ever underestimate the power of those cards, calls and especially prayers.  They mean the world to me and, I am sure, whoever else you happen to be sending them to.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment