Life is never boring...and right now I wish it was!

I have never blogged before but life threw me a serious curve ball...I was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I am just starting on this ride and I want to be able to remember each part of the trip. I am writing this for myself...if anyone else reads this, please just understand that this is my own personal thoughts and fears and just bear with me. Thanks.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

"In His Grip"

It's Sunday evening, usually a favorite time, relaxing with Mike and Scott and planning for the week ahead.  I have a lot of stuff in my head tonight though.  My surgery is a week and a half away.  And this past Thursday afternoon, I received another piece of my pathology report from the biopsy - the cancer is HER2 positive.  This was not good news; from all the research I have done, this makes it a more aggressive cancer and one that seems to indicate that I will require a pretty strong course of chemotherapy. Obviously not  a happy thought :).  After praying about it and talking to Mike and Nancy at length, I met with my pastor and our council president to describe the situation and explain that I need to step away from the job.  My job is as the secretary at my church; a job that enables me to interact with wonderful people who are so supportive of me; a job that I'm good at.  But the job also cannot be done sporadically; there are weekly deadlines and I am a one person office.  It is not fair to the church to not do my best and, more importantly, I honestly can't have the stress and worry about getting things done on time in my head at this time.  The meeting went well - again showing me just how wonderful and supportive these people in my life are.  I will be spending the next week and a half getting things in the office as ready as possible for whoever will replace me.  I guess this is the first of what will probably be more losses in my life.

On the medical front, I had my pre-admission testing done, including blood work, EKG and an MRI.  This was my first MRI ever and an interesting  experience :).

This really is an interesting road I am traveling down; thoughts and feeling change and develop each day.  But I know God is always with me.  I received a card from a friend, telling me that I was in her thoughts and prayers.  But it was the way she signed the card that really spoke to my heart.  She signed it "In His grip,".  I received this card on Friday and I was feeling pretty low at the time.  "In His grip" was exactly what I needed to see.  The thought of not just being in God's care or in his hands, but rather "In His grip" is very comforting to me. I know He is holding onto me, giving me strength and comfort always.

No comments:

Post a Comment